If you bring a car from out of state, you will need to switch your registration and plates to North Carolina within 90 days. Unfortunately, this is both expensive and inconvenient. You’ll need to go to the NC DMV (the closest one is in Carrboro Plaza, 100 NC-54 #104-GG, Carrboro, NC 27510) to retake your written drivers’ exam (I’m not kidding) and get a NC driver’s license (sometimes it’s only a road signs test). After you receive your NC driver’s license in the mail, you’ll need to drive to the
east side of Chapel Hill to register your car and get a NC license plate (210 S. Estes Drive, Suite 137 – it’s in this little shopping mall). You will have to pay some fees along the way, and each year you need to have your car inspected and pay property tax on your vehicle. Car inspections can be done at any service station in Orange County. Car insurance is mandatory in NC. Talk to older graduate students about the best places to insure your car.

More info about the driver’s license requirements: http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/
More info vehicle registration: http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/

Here are some potentially helpful links for your upcoming Driver’s test: http://freedmvpracticetests.com/nc-north-carolina